Alien Gate is a remarkably average vertical shoot-'em-up.
Create a gameplay section and figure out the changes that v1.07 made to it.
Five versions are known to exist, identifiable by the version numbers and file dates in abstract:
- Version 1.06, the original European release. Dated January 21, 1993.
- Version 1.07, also released in Europe. Dated February 18, 1993.
- Version 2.08, found on a US demo disc, though it's not certain whether it's a localization prototype or a copy of an undumped US retail release. Dated July 14, 1993.
- Version 2.09, given to two nearly-identical revisions made for the US and Europe. Both are dated August 5, 1993.
A password system (and the "YOU MADE IT!" message that displays every five levels) was added in v2.08. Two menu options had to be changed to accommodate it: Start Game was shifted to the left, and Hall of Fame was renamed to Highscores.
The "NVRAM is full" message was rewritten and had its font changed to the one used on the main menu.
- The disc title of v1.06 and 1.07 is "THE ALIEN GATE". v2.08 and 2.09 change this to "Alien Gate".
- v1.06 and 1.07 also have empty bibliographic/copyright files, while the abstract file only has the program version line. v2.08 and 2.09 have these files properly filled out.
ALL RIGHTS OF THE PRODUCER AND OF THE OWNER OF THE WORK ARE RESERVED UNAUTHORISED COPYING HIRING, RENTING PUBLIC PERFORMANCE, TRANSMISSION AND-OR BROADCASTING ARE PROHIBITED
IT IS ILLEGAL TO MAKE UNAUTHORIZED COPIES OF THIS SOFTWARE. DUPLICATION OF THIS SOFTWARE FOR ANY REASON INLUDING SALE, LOAN, RENTAL OR GIFT IS A CRIME. PENALTIES INCLUDE FINES OF UP TO $50,000.00 AND JAIL TERMS UP TO 5 YEARS.
ALL RIGHTS OF THE PRODUCER AND OF THE OWNER OF THE WORK ARE RESERVED. UNAUTHORISED COPYING, HIRING, RENTING, PUBLIC PERFORMANCE, TRANSMISSION AND-OR BROADCASTING ARE PROHIBITED.
IT IS ILLEGAL TO MAKE UNAUTHORIZED COPIES OF THIS SOFTWARE. DUPLICATION OF THIS SOFTWARE FOR ANY REASON INCLUDING SALE, LOAN, RENTAL OR GIFT IS A CRIME. PENALTIES INCLUDE FINES OF UP TO $50,000.00 AND JAIL TERMS UP TO 5 YEARS. JUST REMEMBER THAT RIPOFFS DAMAGE YOUR KARMA.
- Both of the "no copying" messages were replaced with new ones in v2.08. In addition, a typo in the scrolling text was corrected ("indispensible" to "indispensable").
- v2.08's bibliographic file misspells Philips Interactive Media as "Philips Interacive Media". This was fixed in v2.09.
- A small section of the scrolling text (right before the second "no copying" message) was removed in v2.09:
PUT ON YOUR PERIL-SENSITIVE SUNGLASSES AND ENJOY ...
- The European versions have three tracks on the disc: the game's data, the intro music, and the Hall of Fame/Highscores music. The US versions merge the data/intro music tracks into one.
- Two files were renamed in v2.08 - path_tbl to path_tbm, and spc_demo to cdi_gate.