Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - The Definitive Edition
|Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - The Definitive Edition|
Developers: Rockstar North,
Grove Street Games
This game has uncompiled source code.
This game has a bugs page
Just scratching the surface.
Now featuring 1 improvement for every 3 bugs and/or worsened visual effects, it's The Definitive* Edition of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City!
- 1 Development Leftovers
- 2 Unused Graphics
- 3 Regional Differences
- 4 Revisional Differences
|This needs some investigation.|
Discuss ideas and findings on the talk page.
Specifically: Look through everything.
Uncompiled Mission Scripts
In the files for the Switch and Windows version, Gameface\Content\OriginalData\GTAVC\Scripts contains the uncompiled scripts for story missions, side missions and various other parts of the game. In most cases they also contain notes from developers, possibly from the original developers as well as Grove Street Games.
Found in Gameface/Content/OriginalData/ViceCity/TEXT is gxtmaker.exe, an application used to convert .txt files into .gxt text containers for the game. Also included is a log file which has several entries from between April 1st and May 29th, 2019.
------ Mon Apr 01 11:20:59 2019 ------ gxtmaker v3.3.1 by KRH (c) 1996-1999 DMA Design Ltd Converting american.txt -> american.gxt saving file : american.gxt Main Size 192444 Largest Mission Size 9152
Early Mission Names
Looks like some debug related strings are in it too.
Also found in Gameface/Content/OriginalData/ViceCity/TEXT is GTAVC_AllLangs.xls, a spreadsheet containing all the in-game text in multiple languages. Of note are some of the mission names near the end of the sheet, starting at row 4919, which differ from the final names.
|Colonel's Party||The Party|
|Trojan Van||Trojan Voodoo|
Unused remade HUD elements found in Gameface/Content/ViceCity/UI/Textures.
Three unused weapon icons; M16 (San Andreas' M4), Rocket Launcher (from III) and the Tear Gas from the initial PlayStation 2 release.
An icon for VCN for the radio wheel.
Two unused radar icons for Biker and Property, respectively. Both were unused in the original game as well.
Japanese Version Changes
The Definitive Edition contains fewer censorships compared to its original version, however, it still has some censorships but they were applied in different ways (even worse).
|This page or section needs more images. |
There's a whole lotta words here, but not enough pictures. Please fix this.
- In the Japanese version of the original game, the opening cutscenes for “No Escape?” and "The Shootist" begin right after Ken snorts the cocaine. But in the Definitive Edition only the mission “No escape?” has the beginning censored, while "The Shootist" remains uncensored.
- The opening cinematic of the mission “Martha's Mug Shot” was ruined in the Japanese Definitive Edition. Now the cinematic begins when Steve is already talking to Tommy, the camera angle was changed so that Candy is not seen on the screen (Just like in the JP version of the original game), but worst of all, the cinematic It's fully muted, so you can't even hear the dialogue between the characters. This is something that did not happen in the original JP version, since there they only silenced Candy's moans.
- In the “G-Spotlight” mission, the spotlight graphic showing breasts was replaced with simply the text of “Candy Suxxx”. This was the same in the original JP game, but in Definitive Edition the ironically used font is Comic Sans.
- The painting of Candy Suxxx that appears in Tommy's mansion has a different texture, in the Japanese Definitive Edition it is a back shot of Candy taken directly from the Definitive Edition, while in the international versions it is the re-scaled texture of the original.
- All references to Haitian and Cubans, including dialogues were removed
Shortly after release, the Windows version was made unavailable as Rockstar "remove[d] files unintentionally included" in the game. The game was eventually restored on November 14th with the uncompiled mission scripts removed from the files.
Check on which patch the commercial NSW version is based (possibly 1.0.5)
[11/11/2021] 1.0.0 / Patch 1.0.1 (NSW : 1.0.3)
- Initial release - Texts on the European version are minimum based on the PS2 3.00 version (with censorship)
[11/19/2021] Patch 1.0.2 (NSW : 1.0.4)
- Better rain effect - The game don't crash anymore around Prawn Island - Texture corruption behind our vehicule (after playing a while) is fixed - Lionel Richie song is removed (again) - View distance is improved on Nintendo Switch - Possibility to move the camera at high speed - Sensitive scripts and internal files are removed - Another bugfixes
[11/30/2021] Patch 1.0.3 (NSW : 1.0.5)
- Cinematic camera - Incorrect spelling in some textures are fixed - Original sounds for the main menu - Rockstar logo on the Map was fixed - Another bugfixes
[02/25/2022] Patch 1.0.4 (NSW : 1.0.6)
- Framerate improvements - Textures improvements - Tail Lights for the cars - Roof fixed in the Vercetti Estate - Black band on the horizon fixed - The sea around the bridge of Little Havana is fixed - The face of the 3D model of Tommy is more expressive (angry) - Another bugfixes
However, this patch add two new issues on NSW : Helicopter "fantom" texture / Incorrect background texture in selection wheels
[10/18/2022] Patch 1.04.5 (NSW : 1.0.7)
- Improving the rain in movements and corrected physics - More loading between areas (and worse display / framerate)
The Grand Theft Auto series
|Windows||Grand Theft Auto • London 1969 • Grand Theft Auto 2|
|PlayStation||Grand Theft Auto|
|Game Boy Color||Grand Theft Auto 2|
|Dreamcast||Grand Theft Auto 2|
|Windows||Grand Theft Auto III (Definitive Edition) • Vice City (Definitive Edition) • San Andreas (Definitive Edition)|
|PlayStation 2||Grand Theft Auto III • Vice City • San Andreas • Liberty City Stories • Vice City Stories|
|Xbox||Grand Theft Auto III • Vice City • San Andreas|
|Game Boy Advance||Grand Theft Auto Advance (Prototype)|
|PlayStation Portable||Liberty City Stories • Vice City Stories|
|Android, iOS||Grand Theft Auto III • Vice City • San Andreas • Liberty City Stories|
|PlayStation Portable||Chinatown Wars|
|Windows||Grand Theft Auto IV • Grand Theft Auto V|
|PlayStation 3, Xbox 360||Grand Theft Auto IV • Grand Theft Auto V|