Proto:Burnout 2: Point of Impact
This page details one or more prototype versions of Burnout 2: Point of Impact.
|This article is a work in progress.|
...Well, all the articles here are, in a way. But this one moreso, and the article may contain incomplete information and editor's notes.
Document the recently released July 27th, 2002 and August 5th, 2002 prototypes.
July 27, 2002 (Pre-Beta/version 0.1)
A "pre-beta" build compiled on July 27, 2002, identifying itself as version 0.1.
- The menu background is an even earlier version than the August builds.
- A "Pre-Beta Version" watermark is present at all times.
- Big Surf Shores is exceptionally hard in Pursuit Mode depending on the vehicle selected, as the checkpoint has been placed too far away from the start.
- How to Play videos do not exist; the GUI elements to show them appear, but they do not play.
- The preview images for the Hot Rod, Gangster and Custom SUV are broken.
- The Muscle car and its Custom variant are referred to as US Muscle and Custom US Muscle respectively.
- The menu order of the Custom series cars is different from the final.
- The Custom Coupe has a different front bumper, featuring no grille.
- The Sport is completely different, bearing a look a lot rounder, angrier and more similar to the Custom Sport. The default colour is also set to yellow instead of black.
- In turn, the Custom Sport carries an earlier version of its livery, lacking the blue stripes going down the sideskirt and rear bumper.
Aug 6th, 2002 demo (PlayStation 2)
A PlayStation 2 demo build of this game exists that's compiled about a month before the final build. It normally only lets the player drive around Big Surf Shores.
The legal screen and the main menu screen both use a different background image than the final release. In fact, the final build doesn't have any kind of background for the legal screen.
Aug 31, 2002 prototype (PlayStation 2)
A "prototype" build of Burnout 2: Point of Impact for the PlayStation 2 from 2002-08-31 (about a week before the release build). Get it here.
Being a review code compiled a week before release build, just about every single file is identical to the retail build, with the exception of the main executable.
The Burnout series
|GameCube||Burnout (Prototypes) • Burnout 2: Point of Impact (Prototypes)|
|PlayStation 2||Burnout (Prototypes) • Burnout 2: Point of Impact (Prototypes) • Burnout 3: Takedown (Prototypes) • Burnout Revenge (Prototypes) • Burnout Dominator (Prototype)|
|Xbox||Burnout (Prototypes) • Burnout 2: Point of Impact (Prototypes) • Burnout 3: Takedown (Prototypes) • Burnout Revenge (Prototypes)|
|PlayStation Portable||Burnout Legends (Prototypes) • Burnout Dominator|
|Nintendo DS||Burnout Legends|
|Xbox 360||Burnout Revenge • Burnout Paradise • Burnout Crash! (Prototypes)|
|Windows||Burnout Paradise • Burnout Paradise: Remastered|
|PlayStation 3||Burnout Paradise • Burnout Crash!|
|PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch||Burnout Paradise: Remastered|